Thursday 10 November 2011

What I'm Listening To This Week 27/10/11

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.
1) Justice - On 'n' On



Justice, the French dance music duo, pioneers of rock/dance music return with their second album, 'Audio, Video, Disco', four years after their debut '†' which received massive critical acclaim. This time round they have a slightly different sound, whereas the first album was full of fuzzy bass lines, hard hitting synths and lots of electro wizardry, 'Audio, Video, Disco' is more like a prog-rock/classic rock/dance fusion. As the song above 'On 'n' On' shows they have taken influences from the likes of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen, but all done lovingly on synthesizers.

2) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Whereas Justice above was put in this blog for musical reasons, this one is for more personal ones. My mum and dad came up at the weekend to make sure I was still alive at my accommodation, luckily I was, however my Mum was horrified to discover I hadn't been getting my five-a-day and therefore must be feeling unwell. My dad who wasn't too concerned with my dietary habits, brought me up some CD's, notably The Smiths - The Queen is Dead as well as a few others. I've had mixed affections for The Smiths, originally hating them in my youth and now loving them. This is a brilliant song with iconic Morrisey misery.

3) Stetsasonic - Talkin' All that Jazz

Some old school hip hop to finnish off. I first heard this song in a Playstation 1 game called 'Thrasher: Skate & Destroy', when I must have been about eleven possibly younger. The soundtrack to the game was brilliant with the likes of Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash featuring on it too. In my opinion this is just a cool song, which seems very nostalgic now.

I hope you have enjoyed my choices this week and I'll put three more songs up next week.

Au Revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment